In July, traditionally, the Polynesian population lives to the rhythms of the cultural celebrations. It is an unique opportunity for 1 500 foreigners expected for the world championship to benefit an exceptional cultural immersion. Dances and songs competition, traditional games and of course, va’a races ; an overview of what awaits them !
HEIVA AND CULTURAL CELEBRATIONS
For most of foreign athletes, oar in Tahiti is an opportunity to come back to the cradle of this sport history. A unique cultural experience whose apogee will be for them the participation to the Heiva va’a, races for which the traditional “pareo” and the head crown are rigourous.
- Saturday 30th of June 2018 – V3 et V6 : Heiva Mataeinaa (Mataiea)
- Sunday 01st of July 2018 – V1 et V16 : Heiva Mataeinaa (Mataiea)
- Saturday 14th of July 2018 – V16 : Memorial Maamaatuaiahutapu (Mataiea)
Find all races of July in the “Fédération Tahitienne de Va’a” website.
Foreigners will be able to improve their cultural immersion by participating to the others cultural celebrations :
HEIVA I TAHITI
The Heiva i Tahiti is an annual cultural event which takes place in Toata throughout the month of July. During 10 competition evenings, there will be 17 songs groups and 19 dances groups on stage, which will perform on their chosen themes.
- From Wednesday the 04th of July to Saturday the 14th of July 2018 : competitions evenings
- Wednesday the 18th of July 2018 : the evening of the awards ceremony
- Friday the 20th of July 2018 : the evening of the laureates
- Saturday the 21st of July 2018 : the evening of “Taupiti” – representation of the groups who win the 2nd and the 3rd prices in categories “Hura Tau” and “Hura Ava Tau”
Information and reservations: https://www.heiva.org/fr/event/heiva-i-tahiti-2018/
Organized around a specific theme, it is more than a hundred local craftmens come to exhibit their know-how : carving on wood / stone / bones, jewelleries, “tifaifai” (Polynesian patchwork), braiding, wicker-work, sewing… The Heiva Rimai will take place at the Exhibition park of Mamao from the 22nd of June to 15th of July 2018.
The 15th edition of the traditional sports competition will run from the 30th of June to 15th of July 2018. Climbing coconut tree, stone raising, javelin, coconut shelling, copra, fruit-bearer races, without forgetting the Va’a Taie regatta embody the most authentic and spectacular Polynesian traditions.
Winners of the Heiva in 2016, Hitireva group will perform on the Marae Arahurahu. Spectators will enjoy a show on the theme of “E parauparau te Ofa’i”, history of sacred stones in a unique setting. The Marae, sacred place, is full of “mana”. It will give all its splendor to a representation gathering more than 100 dancers, singers, musicians …
The shows at Marae Arahurahu, in Paea, will be held every Saturday from the 07th July to 04th August 2018, at 3:45 pm.
TE AITO : THE BIGGEST GATHERING OF V1
Recently registered in the va’a culture, the Te Aito has become over the years an international reference. The day after the World Championships of Speed, Polynesia will have the honor of attending the big gathering of V1, the Te Aito !
- Friday the 27th of July 2018 : Aito kids in the morning and Aito Taurea (teenagers) in the afternoon
- Saturday the 28th of July 2018 : Master Men, Open Women, Master women in the morning and Open Men in the afternoon.
Find all the informations about the event in the page Facebook Te Aito Events https://www.facebook.com/TeAitoEvents/?hc_ref=ARSVvuzRD1yhmVJ6O_ZLaZEto4gHc10NuUVX7UNyP9pmhUvGnHMkUuzYQ8Oj_NifvkA&fref=nf